Italy and Belgium meet within the 2d UEFA EURO 2020 zone-final chasing a place in EURO history. With each groups having gained their remaining 14 UEFA European Championship suits, the victors at the Football Arena Munich will set a new opposition report, a mark they each currently proportion with Germany.
• While Italy have received 14 of the edges’ 22 contests, inclusive of organization games at UEFA EURO 2000 and 2016, Belgium prevailed within the teams’ only preceding EURO zone-final, in 1972 after they ultimately finished 0.33.
• Both sides won their segment with maximum points at UEFA EURO 2020, Italy completing first in Group A and Belgium coming top of Group B, earlier than difficult-fought wins inside the round of sixteen. Italy wanted greater time to see off Austria 2-1 at Wembley on 26 June; Belgium edged beyond holders Portugal 1-0 in Seville day after today.
• Both groups were knocked out in the zone-finals of UEFA EURO 2016.
• The winners of this tie will play Switzerland or Spain within the semi-finals at Wembley on 6 July.Previous meetings
EURO 2000 highlights: Italy 2-zero Belgium
• Belgium’s file in 22 conferences with Italy is W4 D4 L14; W1 D2 L3 in aggressive games.
• The facets’ most current meeting came within the UEFA EURO 2016 group degree, desires from Emanuele Giaccherini (32) and Graziano Pellè (90+three) giving Antonio Conte’s Italy a 2-zero Matchday 1 win in Lyon against a Belgium aspect coached by using Marc Wilmots. That helped the Azzurri end pinnacle of Group E, level on six factors with runners-up Belgium, who additionally improved. Ten participants of Belgium’s UEFA EURO 2020 squad performed in that come upon rather than just 3 from Italy’s.
• That was the countries’ 0.33 meeting at the EURO very last match, a goalless attract Turin in 1980 allowing Belgium to attain the very last on the hosts’ cost. Twenty years later Italy helped to cast off the UEFA EURO 2000 co-hosts in the organization degree with a 2-zero victory in Brussels, Francesco Totti and Stefano Fiore scoring.
• The international locations’ ultimate pleasant – and first seeing that May 2008 – passed off in November 2015, Belgium coming from behind to defeat Italy 3-1 in Brussels. Jan Vertonghen, Kevin De Bruyne and Michy Batshuayi scored for the hosts in respond to Antonio Candreva’s early strike.
• Belgium’s sole aggressive triumph against Italy got here within the sector-finals of the 1972 UEFA European Championship. They prevailed 2-1 in Brussels after a goalless draw in Milan to take away the holders.
EURO facts: Belgium
• This is Belgium’s second successive UEFA European Championship very last event and their 6th EURO in overall.
• The Red Devils’ largest success to this point was accomplishing the very last of this tournament in 1980, when they misplaced 2-1 to West Germany in Rome.
• In 2016, Belgium’s first EURO finals considering the fact that they co-hosted UEFA EURO 2000 with the Netherlands, a group coached via Wilmots finished 2d in Group E and beat Hungary four-zero within the spherical of sixteen – their largest EURO finals victory – only to suffer a three-1 region-final defeat by means of Wales.
• This time round, Roberto Martínez’s aspect received all ten in their qualifiers to complete first in Group I, growing the range of countries to have reached the finals with an excellent report to 8, Italy also having executed the feat in the UEFA EURO 2020 preliminaries. Of the previous six to have gained each qualifier, but, only Spain (2012) went directly to win the event itself.
• The nine-0 win in opposition to San Marino on 10 October 2019 is Belgium’s biggest UEFA European Championship victory.
• Belgium were the top scorers in qualifying normal with 40 dreams in their ten matches. Fifteen one of a kind Belgium gamers determined the internet in qualifying.
• The Red Devils conceded handiest three goals, the joint nice document at the side of Turkey.
• Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne each furnished seven assists in qualifying, fewer handiest than the Netherlands’ Memphis Depay (eight). Hazard scored five dreams to De Bruyne’s four; Romelu Lukaku controlled seven desires and 4 assists.
• Belgium have extended their triumphing run inside the opposition to 14 on the final match. They beat Russia (three-zero) and Finland (2-zero) in Saint Petersburg either aspect of a 2-1 comeback victory towards Denmark in Copenhagen to finish six factors clear at the pinnacle of Group B, before Thorgan Hazard’s forty second-minute intention at the Stadium La Cartuja Sevilla proved sufficient for them to see off Portugal inside the spherical of sixteen.
• That 1972 success against Italy is Belgium’s most effective win in a EURO area-final; they lost to the Netherlands in 1976 (0-5 a, 1-2 h) and Wales in 2016 (1-3).
• This is Belgium’s first recreation at the Football Arena Munich and best their 2d in the city, following a zero-0 pleasant draw in opposition to West Germany in September 1982.
• Belgium’s document in Germany is W2 D3 L9, their closing visit a 3-1 UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying defeat in Düsseldorf in October 2011. Their ultimate victory within the usa changed into a 2-1 UEFA European Championship qualifying success towards East Germany in Leipzig in March 1983.
EURO statistics: Italy
2019 highlights: Belgium 1-three Italy
• This is Italy’s tenth EURO final tournament and their 7th in a row on account that sitting out the 1992 version in Sweden. Only two times have they failed to develop via the organization level, in 1996 and 2004; they have been region-finalists at UEFA EURO 2016.
• Italy triumphed on domestic soil on the 1968 UEFA European Championship and were runners-up twice when you consider that – in 2000 and 2012.
• This time round, Roberto Mancini’s side gained all ten of their qualifiers to complete first in Group J, swelling the number of countries to have reached the finals with a great report to eight.
• A 3-0 win away to Bosnia and Herzegovina in their penultimate qualifier became Italy’s 10th successive win in all internationals, the primary time in their records they had completed that feat.
• The Azzurri made it eleven immediately victories with a 9-1 home win towards Armenia of their very last qualifying game, the first time they’d scored 9 dreams in a recreation seeing that August 1948. Seven one-of-a-kind gamers had been on the scoresheet, a brand new country wide record.
• Having never scored three desires in a EURO finals game earlier than this match, Italy controlled it in each their first two suits, beating Switzerland and Turkey 3-zero on the Olimpico in Rome, in which they secured first area in Group A with a 1-0 defeat of Wales on Matchday three.
• Italy squeezed beyond Austria inside the closing 16 in London, more-time goals from subsitutes Federico Chiesa (ninety five) and Matteo Pessina (105) taking them right into a fourth successive EURO sector-final.
• That made Italy’s document in knockout ties on the EURO final tournament W8 L6.
• That 1972 defeat by using Belgium is one of 3 EURO sector-very last ties Italy have lost, the others each on consequences, against Spain in 2008 and Germany in 2016. They beat Bulgaria in 1968 (2-3 a, 2-zero h), Romania in 2000 (2-0) and England in 2012 (zero-0, 4-2 pens), taking place to reach the very last in all three tournaments.
• This is Italy’s second game on the Football Arena Munich, after their 4-1 friendly loss in opposition to Germany in March 2016. That turned into their 2d in shape in the city, where they beat Haiti three-1 at the Olympiastadion in the 1974 FIFA World Cup organization degree.
• Italy’s average report in Germany is W16 D9 L7, their remaining go to that 2016 loss in Munich. They received the 2006 World Cup in Germany, playing two of their video games in Hamburg, one in Hannover and two in Kaiserslautern earlier than beating the hosts 2-0 after extra time inside the semi-final in Dortmund and then defeating France on consequences at Berlin’s Olympiastadion.
• The Azzurri’s file at the 2006 World Cup became W5 D2; on the 1974 event in West Germany it changed into W1 D1 L1, Italy starting with that victory towards Haiti in Munich before gambling their subsequent video games in Stuttgart. That turned into additionally in which their 1988 UEFA European Championship marketing campaign ended with a 2-zero semi-very last defeat with the aid of the Soviet Union; their report at that tournament in West Germany changed into W2 D1 L1.Links and minutiae
EURO 2016 highlights: Belgium zero-2 Italy
• Opposing managers Martínez and Mancini had been in price of Wigan Athletic and Manchester City respectively in the 2013 FA Cup very last, Wigan prevailing 1-0 to assert their most effective important trophy; Mancini left City days later.
• Lukaku was an Italian title winner with Internazionale in 2020/21, scoring 24 league desires.
• Lukaku signed for the Milan membership in 2019, with Nicolò Barella and Alessandro Bastoni among his crew-buddies.
• Lukaku has confronted Italy’s Gianluigi Donnarumma in four Milan derbies as an Inter player, scoring in every one.
• Dries Mertens joined Napoli in 2013 and is now the membership’s all-time record scorer with one hundred thirty five desires. His current team-buddies in Naples encompass Lorenzo Insigne (2013–), Giovanni Di Lorenzo (2019–) and Alex Meret (2018–).